After doing and redoing the waistband on the skirt over and over……I still haven’t been able to get it right. So, I have taken a break from that because I need to think about a different way to go about it. But, I have posted a picture of the skirt, sans-waistband, below so you can see how it has turned out, basically (the lighting is awful, please forgive me).
I had to drape a new pattern, this time pulling the fabric to a fit at both the widest part of the hips and at the waist (instead of just the hips). This meant I had less excess fabric and, thank the lord, darts of a much more reasonable length (not those 10 inch monsters of before).
The fabric is a heavy cotton, and it was quite fickle. If you pulled it the wrong way while sewing or ironing it, it would get misshapen. So I tried to be gentle (no Lenny with a bunny here). But still, you can see a little bit how it pulls in the front and on the sides. I think I could fix the pulling on the sides but on the front, I think I played a little too much with the fabric or ironed it too much and now it’s just weird.
Once I sewed the skirt, I realized it was basically see through, which was a little bit of a surprise since the fabric appeared thick enough. But, white is white, and since I’m no Rihanna (not that this was quite as severely see through as Rihanna’s CFDA Awards outfit), I had to line it. I did so by buying some of that polyester lining fabric you might find in a jacket (in white of course) and basically sewing a second skirt, using the same pattern, then placing the second skirt inside the actual skirt and sewing it to the actual skirt at the waist. The lining also made the skirt fit more nicely and look more smooth and shapely from the outside.
Given my struggles with the skirt (and my need to get away from it), I have also started constructing the top, which seems to be going well so far. It’s really funny because I make the pattern draping it on the dress form with the correct measurements but when I cut the actual fabric and start fitting it on the dress form, it’s always too big, usually too wide. I’m not sure if that’s because I’m pulling the fabric and deforming it while trying to fit it or whether I just made very rough markings on the pattern fabric while I was draping it. Either way, it leads to a lot of excess at the seams.
I will post progress on the top when it’s decent, probably before I finish the neckline and arm holes. For the time being, I also have to think of a method for making the cape. I am currently pondering whether I want to do the front and back separately, where I will just have a solid front and cut strips of fabric to attach for the back, or whether I want to just have one huge piece of fabric with one seam and then just remove the strips from the back that I want to be empty space.
I will try to have a new post either tomorrow or the next day. Sometimes I get so involved in figuring something out, I just keep working at it without updating you on my progress, and for that, I offer my apologies. I’m not really sticking to my one a day rule from my original post, obviously. Haha.
-Yours truly, the girl who thinks you should subscribe up top 😉
Music Credit: My little desk fan.